Tuesday, August 23, 2011

acting

i've decided that teaching is at least 75% acting. the persona i put on in my classroom is not always the same person i am in real life. i'm sure my students think i'm nuts (i sing in class?!), but it also helps me keep a better attitude about things. if i'm not postive and excited about something, the students definitely won't be! it's incredibly important right now too. my school doesn't have air conditioning... YIKES. it's been really, really warm in my room. i start the day and i can feel sweat dripping down my back! ick. tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer.

oh well. so far i'm enjoying my new position, although it's a completely different experience! there are lots of things that i have not been prepared for (large, all school assemblies lasting through one of my periods), but some things just don't change (students in general). i'm also still playing catch up i feel. since i didn't get placed until basically the friday before school started on monday, i wasn't able to do much/any planning. i personally like knowing where i am going long-term (and i know that many of you are saying here.. uh, katherine... you teach history, it's obvious where you are going!!!) i disagree. i like ahving a concrete map of where i will be going and how i will get there. what skills will they be doing? what will they need to know by the end of the unit? what do they need to know to set them up for the next one? i have none of that in place at the moment, so it's making my lesson planning seem a little disjointed i think.

oh well, tomorrow volleyball has been cancelled (heat advisory and no a/c = very very hot gym) so i'm going to try to get my life together!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, I don't know how you just jump into things like that! I guess first days of school are all the same, but kudos to you for being flexible enough to adapt no matter what :)

    Can't wait for more of your tales...were any of the teachers from your last school also placed at your current school?

    ReplyDelete